Can Feminists Love Movies By Evil Hollywood Men?

Can Feminists Love Movies By Evil Hollywood Men?

I had the sad realization that almost all of my favorite movies were made by or employed men that have been accused of assault or improper conduct. Rosemary’s Baby? Roman Polanski raped a 13-year-old girl. Pulp Fiction? Quentin Tarantino defended Polanski, allegedly harassed Rose McGowan, and endangered Uma Thurman filming Kill Bill: Vol 1. Also, it was produced by the Weinstein brothers. Scream? Produced by the Weinstein brothers. The list goes on and on and on. So, besides the violation of women’s autonomy, over-sexualization, perpetuation of rape culture, and capitalizing on women’s vulnerability… I have a few more issues with these movies that I love so dearly.

I’ve been thinking a lot, and I believe that rape is a crime at the same caliber as murder (no, I’m not being dramatic) and sexual harassment is a baby step in objectifying women and setting a precedent that validates rape. My personal struggle, is that these evil people make the BEST movies and I don’t know how to come to terms with being a feminist and figuring out how to project that onto the tainted art that the #MeToo movement has so rightfully exposed. Can I appreciate a movie and reject the person who made it? This has been tearing me up for a while because I love movies made by awful people, violent and gory movies, and even movies that objectify women can be really good movies (if you pull out the commodifying of our bodies).

I am lost- as a feminist, a movie enthusiast, and strong believer of freedom of the press. I don’t know when and where to draw the line with funding awful people by indulging in their art. This insecurity of mine has been amplified by MissRepresentation, mostly in how difficult is for women to become directors and screenwriters. On my list of things I wish I could do but realistically never will, writing a book or screenplay is at the very top because I love taking in cinematographic art, but my gender (and many other genders) have been pushed out of that position.This leaves me conflicted because I don’t know how to be a good feminist and appreciate groundbreaking movies in their fields.


Image result for pulp fiction
Image result for rosemarys baby



Image result for scream sidney

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Psychographics of Brandy Melville

"The Midriff": How can women-aligning people reclaim their sexuality?

Scary Movies?